Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day #9 – Learning to be patient.


Throughout the month of December, especially during the Christmas holidays, I did not take any days off from work.  Yesterday I took the day off because I wanted to do a little shopping for me with the gift cards I received. I enjoy being able to walk in the streets of New York City and into the stores without being pushed and without the hustle and bustle. And I love shopping when God shows me deep, deep discounts.

After I returned home I did what I usually do when I’m off from work. I checked my office emails so I could be on top of things when I return. One particular email from my supervisor sent to the attorneys I work for with a copy to me mentioned that someone would be sitting at my desk. No one ever covers for me when I’m out, so I thought this unusual.

Almost immediately, I began to think wrong thoughts. “Why is somone at my desk?” I asked out loud. But the holy spirit would not have it. Suddenly, I realized that nothing at my job belongs to me. I’m just utilizing the space. On a temporary basis. I soon thought nothing of it. However when I arrived in the office today, “my desk” was a bit messy, so I did express to my supervisor that consideration should be given..just as I would give had the tables been turned.

The day has been a great one. A blessed one. I learned that I am learning to be patient. I realized that had I not thought about the situation beforehand, and just blurted out how I felt about it instead, things could have been less comfortable and peaceful.

Fasting is not easy and it certainly is not fun. But the results can be pleasantly surprising. I just love it when I can see God working on and through me. Thinking before acting surely equals peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment